Over the years 2020-2025, many concession companies will terminate the municipal concession contract for the car parks that were built in the 1960s and 1970s.
Before tendering for new concessions for the next 50 years, a rehabilitation project for the car parks needs to be carried out from various points of view:
- Structural rehabilitation of the car park: after inspecting the structural elements of the car park (roofs, slabs, pillars, pavements, etc), a map of damages or deteriorations is made and a catalogue of solutions for their repair is formulated.
- Adaptation of the car park to the new accessibility, evacuation and sectorisation regulations. New car parks must guarantee all the measures of the current regulations to ensure the safety of users and people with reduced mobility.
- Adapt the new distribution of spaces to the current demands: places for residents, rotation places, car sharing, last mile, spaces for PRM, etc.
- Adapt car parks to the new needs in terms of electric recharging.
- Adapt the capacity of the car park to the new dimensions of the cars
BEWS has had the opportunity to realize the Structural repair works in three of the car parks in Madrid Centro: Aparcamiento Las Cortes, Aparcamiento de la Plaza Santa Ana, and Aparcamiento Luna Tudescos.
As a result of these three projects, BEWS engineers have been able to broaden their knowledge of all kind of structural pathologies, and more specifically of pathologies associated with buried structures like damp, leaks, cracking of floors, etc. In some specific cases, the project has also been accompanied by the need to build a new access to the car park in order to guarantee the minimum length of the evacuation path (50 metres). This measure, in turn, has had to be accompanied by its respective urban development study, given the impact on street level.
In conclusion, the project has been a set of structural, architectural, urban development and functional projects.